Post PicoSure Tattoo removal care instructions
Healing time is generally 3-7 days.
Steps on how to cleanskin after Picosure laser tattoo removal
- Clean skin with mild soap, may be antibacterial. Doesn’t matter.
- Pat the area dry. Do not rub or prick the skin
- Apply moisturizer of your choice
- Cover the tattoo with any non-anhesive gauze, we use (TELFA) if available.
- Cover the gauze with paper tape or a waterproof bandage. Please make sure that then gauze is non sticky and that it fully covers the size of the tattoo as to prevent the bandage from ripping or pulling the skin in between bandage changes.
- You may cover the non adhesive bandage with a paper tape.
- It is best to remove the bandage while taking a shower, so that the glue in the tape softens and it is easier to remove from the skin without damage
WHAT TO EXPECT
- You may leave the bandage applied on your skin on for 1-2 days.
- You may take shower as needed. The bandage is waterproof, so it’s ok.
- The first night, it is advisable to take a pain killer before bedtime to minimize any discomfort you may experience during the night. NSAIDS like Advil, Aleve, Motrin are the best. Take 2-3 over the counter pills in order to be effective. It is advisable but not required. The degree of discomfort varies from person to person and depends on the size and location of the tattoo.
- You may cool the skin posttreatment as needed with cold gel packs, aloe vera gel, or cool air if available.
- Do not shave the area if crusting is evident
- Blistering is normal and is self-resolving after 3-5 days. Do not pop the blisters.
- If possible, keep the blisters covered until the liquid is absorbed by the body.
- Apply a non-stick pad over the tattoo until it is healed. It’s called TELFA non- stick dressing and paper tape
- During crusting, keep the area comfortable by moisturizing the skin as often as possible to prevent it from getting too dry and itchy
- Feel free to use any moisturizer of your choice that you feel will give best hydration to your skin without irritation. Great options are: Aquaphor, Cerave, Vaseline, Eucerin, Lubriderm, La Roche-Posay, Aveeno just to name a few. Please choose ointments rather that creams or lotions.
- If blistering occurs, keep the area moist by applying moisturizer at least 3 times per day.
- Please avoid any body oils during the healing process as not to potentially irritate the skin
- No sun exposure, tanning beds and sunless tanning cream for 4 weeks prior to and after treatment. Sun exposure decreases the effectiveness of the laser treatment and can increase the chance of posttreatment complications.
- Use a broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher. Apply to the treated area every 2 hours when exposed to the sun .
- It is preferrable to cover tattoo area with a bandage in the sun exposed area during the duration of your treatment.
- Do not enter swimming pools or hot tubs until treated areas are healed.
- No swimming or using hot tubs for 48-72 hours posttreatment.
If pain, redness or pus is evident in the area, you must contact the office immediately